By Liz, looking forward to seeing the sun again…someday?
I turned in Murder She Meowed, book seven in the Pawsitively Organic Mysteries, on May 1.
My point is, this was a huge accomplishment. And then I thought about all the other accomplishments I’ve racked up in the past 10 months–and compared them to the challenges– and decided to actually celebrate for a change. Here’s an excerpt from my Facebook post from the day I turned in the book. Since last July, I:
- Wrote three(!) books (and did copy edits/page proofs for one).
- Had a really crappy few months at my old job.
- Found/started a new (and pretty demanding) day job.
- Traveled a bunch with said new day job.
- Managed to take a real vacation for the first time in a long time last fall.
- Dealt with A LOT of personal issues, including Shaggy’s illness, which was wicked stressful for me.
- Lost 2 cats within 2 weeks back in January – Pumpkin and Johnny. 🙁
- Did one round of B-School.
- Managed to give off the illusion that I was a semi-moderately high-functioning adult most days.
Actually acknowledging that I got a lot done despite most of this stuff is new for me. Typically, I’d cross stuff off the list, tell myself to suck up the rest, and move on.
But I didn’t do that this time. I decided to give myself a break before the next deadline (which is looming, but it’s all good). I took a couple weeks off from serious writing, and tried to be good to myself. Granted, I spent some extra time on the day job, but aside from that, I managed pretty well.
So if you’d all care to indulge me, I thought I’d share five things I’ve been reading/doing/watching/pondering during the little vacation I granted myself (kind of like Tim Ferriss’s 5-Bullet Friday emails):
Watching: both of Harlan Coben’s Netflix series, The Five and Safe. Calling it research. Loved them both – he is a master.
Reading: My reading time was severely compromised during the past months. I finally got to finish Dennis Lehane’s Since We Fell. And I read Marianne Williamson’s A Return to Love, a book I’d only read in pieces up until now.
Who I’m following: I’m currently obsessed with the poet Nayyirah Waheed. Her short poems speak volumes.
Quote I’ve been pondering: By Alan Cohen: “Fear and resistance are the dragons that stand at the door of the temple that contains the jewel you seek. Just keep going.”
Where I’ve been: This isn’t super exciting, but I’ve wanted to go to a Container Store for years – and there’s finally one close to me. I made my first trip a couple weeks ago. It lives up to the hype!
That’s a little bit of what I’ve been up to. Thanks for indulging me!
Readers, what are your favorite down time activities?