by Julie, decking the halls in Somerville
I’m having a bit of an issue getting into the holiday spirit this year. I’m taking some time off over the next couple of weeks, and besides lots of rest, I’ve made a list of the things that I think will help. When I wrote it down, it felt like the outline for a new series–grumpy middle aged woman trying to find the spirit.
- Stop watching Hallmark movies live. DVR them all, so that if I lose interest I can jump forward to the end. Some of the movies stand out, and I have a few that I rewatch every year. Christmas on Honeysuckle Lane is one. Others blur together. So I’m going to start just watching the end.
- When someone asks if I’m free at a particular time, I’m going to start asking why they’re asking first. I’ve been roped into too many Zoom calls and in person meetings that just make me crankier.
- I’m going to finish three knitting projects before I start a new one. Two of them are well underway, but for a baby due any day, so the race is on. The other project is finishing squares for an afghan for my niece. I was hoping that would be a Christmas present, but looks like it will be a February surprise instead. I’ve been starting new projects rather than finishing existing ones, so I need to buckle down.
- I’m only going to partake of entertainment that makes me happy. No “you should watch” or “it’s so deep” experiences for me until well into the new year. The only tears I want to shed are over the sappy ending of a holiday movie. The only fear I want to feel is running out of tea. Light and bright this season.
- I’m going to daydream a lot. I’ve had an idea nipping on my imagination, but I haven’t given it a chance to bloom. So I need to stare, knit, and let the muse come in to visit. She doesn’t show up when I’m tired or stressed, so I’ve got to get into the zone.
- I’m only going to see people who make me smile. No obligation visits for me this year.
- I’m not going to plan for 2022. Planner friends, don’t panic. I will the first week of January, trust me. I have my pile of planners waiting. But for the next two weeks. I’m going to sit back and make sure 2021 leaves.
So that’s it, that’s the list. I think it’s going to work. Dear readers, what would you add?